Using Task Cards with Middle School Students

Sunday, September 6, 2015


Have you been avoiding task cards because you are a middle school teacher? I did! I had no idea what they were and if they were appropriate for my middle school students. I did not know how to use them, so I avoided them like the plague.

BUT,  now I do and I think they are one of the best things that has happened to my classroom! My students love them and so do I.

What are task cards? 
Task cards are individual content based problems that are printed 4 or more to a page. You cut them out and the students work out the problems from the cards rather than printing and copying worksheets. Here's an example of what it looks like..... These are part of my 7th Grade Adding and Subtracting Rational Numbers Task Card and Poster Set. 

How do I use task cards in my classroom?

1. Around the room: 
One of my students' favorite ways to use task cards is simply to place them around the room. After cutting the task cards apart, I tape them around the room at eye level. This method gets your students up and moving around the classroom. I allow my students to complete the task cards in any order (however, I may have to limit how many people are at a card at the same time). Students can complete this independently or as partners. Once the students have answers to all of the task cards, I  have them grade their own work using a QR reader app to scan the QR codes answer sheet. The students are required to highlight or circle the problems that were incorrect and go back to the task card to correct them. 

2. Scoot! :
 Scoot! is a game that can be easily played with task cards. Every student should have a task card or a rest and reflect card on their desk. My rest and reflect cards look like this.
Set a timer for 2-3 minutes (depending on the topic). When ever the timer is done, the students will move in a teacher set pattern to the next task card and the timer begins again. The students will scoot their way around the classroom while completing the task cards. At the end of the game, the answers are reviewed. I like to create study teams before the activity. Then points can be earned by each team member based on the number of task cards answered correctly during the game. 

3. Station Work: 
Before our unit tests, I review each topic quickly and have the students rate themselves according to their own perceived proficiency levels. I place the task cards with the various topics in stations around the room (1 topic per station). The students move through the stations by beginning with their weakest topic and moving towards their strongest topic. You could also have the students take an informal assessment or practice test to determine this information. 

4. Small Group Work/Remediation :
I also like to use my task cards during small group remediation. Whenever I pull a small group for remediation, I also get out my task cards for that topic. I allow each student in the group to work on a white board while I guide them through how to complete some of the problems from the task cards. After we have done several together, I will assess their proficiency by giving each student in the group a different task card to complete. If they can complete their task card individually, they are ready to move on. If not, I offer assistance and continue coaching until the student is able to complete a problem on his/her own. 

If you are interested in trying your hand at task cards, check out some of my products in my teacherspayteachers store 







How do you use task cards in your classroom?

Share your opinion: