The First Day At Middle School

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Middle school can be such an awkward time for students. They are learning personal responsibility, trying to find their identity, and just trying to find a place to belong.

Many times students in middle school are attending classes with other students they never met. (How scary?!)

As a middle school teacher, I always liked to keep the first day of school very light-hearted  while we got to know each other.

One thing that I love doing is taking all of my students outside and gathering them in a large circle. We played a name game to get to know each other. Each student had to catch the ball, identify themselves using an adjective and their name, and gently toss the ball to someone who had no received a turn. The tricky (and funny) part was making the adjective start with the same letter as your first name. For example, in the past I've met Shy Sarah, Rambunctious Ryan, Funny Felicia, Wild Will, and many other excellent students. This activity allowed me to get to know some of their personality traits and while also allowing me to watch how they interacted with each other.

Next, I like to challenge my students (It can't be that easy right? LOL)
I tell them that we are going to play again, however, we must go in the same order and you must say your name plus the name of the person to whom you will be throwing it.

We usually play the game several times trying to get faster and faster.

After this game, the students would know the names of each other and a few have made quick friends. This always made my heart smile :).

However, then I like to move on to something academic (but also fun). I asked my students to determine how many balls (like the one we used in the game) would it take to fill up the classroom. I quickly showed them where the classroom supplies were located and then turned them loose.

The best thing about this assignment was that there were no parameters. I like seeing what my students can come up with on their own. The students often group themselves during this activity and it is great because you will quickly be able to tell your weak learners from your strong learners, your gifted students from your students who need extra services,  and your leaders from your followers.

The students love presenting their thoughts and ideas for such a simple task (that can actually be made as complex as you would like).

Overall, my philosophy about the first day has not been to "lay down the law" or to "scare them into submission." It has simply been to interact with each of my students, capture their interest, and inspire them to do their personal best.

I continue building this trust relationships with my students for the first several weeks by using  ice-breakers and get-to-know you activities (such as the ones listed below).



Tell me about your ideas for the first day!

Share your opinion: